Monday, April 21, 2008


In sharing foods of questionable taste a key is going far enough so that it is a stretch, but not going so far that you are the only one stuck eating it.

That was my lesson learned from this snack…Raw Clams! Oddly enough this was served with some friends at a party not at HBS, perhaps they could have eaten some, but no one was eating raw clams at this party.

So after scrubbing the clam violently under freezing cold water, and making sure they were all clean, I loaded them into a tub half filled with crushed ice. I made some special sauces for people to try, but as already noted no one was up for it.

To eat them you have to have a towel and a clam/oyster knife. Holding the clam in the towel you put the tip of the knife right in the hinge of the clam and twist it. I know it sounds mean considering that the clams are technically alive when you do this…as well as when you eat them. You want to make sure you’re holding the clam as to not spill the clam juice that is inside the clam. Then you cut away (man…I’m feeling bad about this) where it is attached to the shell so it sits in there all loose with it’s juices, then you spoon either some sauce or squeeze some lemon on it and slurp it down.

Sounds good right?
Apparently no one else thought so. Perhaps I took it just a little to far that time.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Yeah... not really tasting that. All yours bro!

JulieMom said...

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew!!

EW.

Colette said...

I completely agree with Julie!

Janice said...

I wont eat them cooked! And I won't eat sardines, or Anchovies, or Gefilte Fish, or Smoked Oysters, or Pig’s Feet, or Potted Meat. Call me wierd!

But the promo is working! My son is trying to invite kids he has NEVER MET to come to church as his visitor! Kind of like a hostage situation on a ten year old's level! ...

Have you ever seen a whole oxtail? they are pretty gross! But I hear they are delicious! Or how about a roasted cow tongue? The whole thing, all together, and not diced up into "easily" swallowed pieces!

Anonymous said...

I was just checking out a comment made on my blog by Shannon(?) and saw this. Have you tried tongue? I don't know if Wegman's has it, but I bet it would get quite the response, even though I'm told it's pretty good when made properly!