Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Cutting The Cheese


What you see here is last weeks snack.

We’ve got a nice liverwurst loaf, thinly sliced red onions, German style mustard, and Limburger cheese, which was served with pumpernickel rolls.

I’ve always liked liverwurst, but never in my life have I even been near Limburger cheese. I remember my mom and grandma calling it stinky cheese, and saying if you got it into your mouth before it hit your nose you’d be OK, but that never made sense to me. I mean our smell and our taste are so intertwined it didn’t seem possible, so I decided that Friday was the day to find out.

I had the spread all covered with tin foil to prevent anyone from seeing what I had brought until Bible Study was over. Some of the kids tried to peak through the foil to see what disgusting treat I had brought, but I shooed them away. Once Bible Study had ended we gathered in the kitchen to open up the snack. I had our hostess have a candle burning next to the plate just to try and prevent the smell from permeating the house, I’m not sure what good it did, but hey, I was trying to be considerate.

I unwrapped the Limburger cheese and immediately the smell hit. I can only describe it by saying it smelled the way you’d assume a 6 year old unwashed gym sock would smell. I think Jordan described it as smelling like Northstar soccer practice…it was gross. To be honest once I smelled the cheese I figured Joe V, Joe K, and I would be the only ones eating it. To my surprise one after the other people were making these little Liverwurst & Limburger sandwiches. Even Anna who was there for the first time took part. It was great to see all the folks making their sandwich, some reluctantly, and some without any hesitation meeting the challenge head-on. Others like Pat made sure a drink was close in case it tasted as bad as it smelled.

I actually enjoyed the sandwich a lot. Chef Joe pointed out how the flavors worked well together. Limburger cheese doesn’t taste bad; you just can’t inhale as you take a bite. It was like a bunch of really strong flavors that came together and partially cancelled one another out. The raw onions were mellowed by the cheese, the liverwurst was complimented by the mustard and the pumpernickel kind of muffled the intensity of it all. Overall it was delicious!

Mom and Grandma were right! If you get past the smell of Limburger, it’s all good. One problem though…When you eat something that smells like a gym sock, your breath smells like Northstar soccer practice, hence the bed of parsley…Who says no one eats parsley?

That’s my take; let me know what you thought.

Acts 14:17 - Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.

No comments: