Monday, December 10, 2007

Puttin On The Ritz

These little dainties are from a recipe called Ritzy Chicken Livers.

After I trimmed up about a pound of chicken livers, I pummeled about two sleeves of Ritz crackers, and mixed in a garlic and herb salad dressing packet. I dredged the livers in butter, and then coated them with the cracker crumb mix. These were placed in a lightly greased pan and into the oven at 350F for about 40 minutes.

At first bite I wasn’t a fan because they look and smell like they should taste like southern fried chicken. Once I remembered that it was liver, I got my mouth ready for liver, and they were much better. I’ve always liked liver, if only because no one else did. It’s got a very unique taste, but I think it’s the texture that people shy away from. I don’t know how to describe it. I’d say dry but that would sound negative, and that’s not what I’m going for. It has a soft texture that is not like meat at all, but delicious in its own right.

Again I figured that only a few of us were going to try the livers, but to my surprise I only had three little livers left. Some people just plain enjoy liver, and it reminded others of what mama used to make. I liked this dish OK, but I would most likely not make it for dinner. If I was going to have liver, I prefer calf liver with bacon and onions.
That's my comments; let me know what you thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, about the liver. I have never been a big fan of liver, but I thought I would give it a try since it has been YEARS since I have eaten it. At first Shannon's breading & seasoning on the outside was very good, then I bit down & discovered the "liver taste & texture". Just as I had remembered it & then I was reminded why I haven't eaten it in years, it's because I don't like it. Oh well, at least I tried.

Mr. Young said...

Way to be a soldier Heather! I'm like that with tripe. I know I don't like it, yet everytime it's available I try it, and remember that it's just plain gross.

JulieMom said...

I agree with you, liver tastes "not at all like meat".