Saturday, December 8, 2007

This Date is Cheesy

OK so is my lame title, but the treats were actually wonderful. I will give you that they are not really the usual stretch of the taste buds that I go for, but they were different.

These are pitted dates stuffed with a Parmesan Cheese. I bought the dates already pitted, and the cheese in a block. After cutting little matchsticks of the cheese I stuffed them into the hole that was left from where the pit was removed. It’s almost like it was meant to fit there. Then I baked them in the oven at about 300F for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt.

When they first come out they are too hot to eat, so if you try this be careful. The date will stick to your mouth and burn you so that you won’t even be able to tell how good they are. On the flip side after about 20 minutes they are back to room temperature and not nearly as good. The key to them is timing. When they are just hot to very warm they are best. The inside of the date is all moist, and the cheese is melty…good stuff! Once they cool…forget it.

The flavor combination is a unique contrast between the sharp Parmesan, and the sweet date. It’s different, but they really work awesome together. I saw this recipe on “Lyon in the Kitchen” and then looked up recipes. The other variations I found had the date wrapped in bacon, and as much of a fan I am of bacon it seems like that would have been one flavor too many.

Well those are my comments; I wonder what you thought…

5 comments:

Hindsey said...

I don't know what to say about this blog, Shannon........

Mr. Young said...

It's fun for me anyways. I don't know. When someone critiques my posts here, I'm not branded as a heritic. Really it's much easier to do this.

Anonymous said...

I thought these were very tasty. I never would have thought to put the two ingredients together. I enjoyed this snack, as for the liver...check out my comment there.

Anonymous said...

Tim T said...
These were actually pretty good, which is rare for this blog.

JulieMom said...

I think this would be something I might actually try.

And I like this blog, no matter what OTHER people may say. Other people who have STOPPED BLOGGING ALTOGETHER I MIGHT ADD.

Ahem.

You just need to update more often is all. :0)